Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Another Lakeport Product?

I don't consider myself to be a beer snob. I do consider myself to be a beer lover, a beer lover who enjoys quality beer. So I try to distance myself from talking or bashing the big brewers who brew their beer not to offend anyone as opposed to brewing for the purpose being enjoyed by someone. But as I read the news this morning about buck a beer pioneer and newly acquired Labatt baby Lakeport, I couldn't resist.

The headline read 'Lakeport Brewery Launches Lakeport Ale'. Not satisfied with the amount of products already offered, Lakeport has introduced an Ale to their line-up. I was shocked by the amount of different products Lakeport offers - Lakeport Pilsener, Lakeport Honey Lager, Lakeport Red, Lakeport Light, Lakeport Strong and Lakeport Ice. I never knew they produced a variety like this, so it wouldn't be fair of me to judge them and call them terrible - but this is my blog so I will. I bet the beer is crap. I love hearing people say that mainstream beer is easy to drink and quenches your thirst. I have trouble downing a bottle of our national beers anymore. I can't stand the pop like carbonation.

Why did Lakeport add an ale?
"Adding an ale to our family of beers was really inspired by our loyal Lakeport drinkers. They asked us to create a great tasting beer and we are proud to deliver great tasting Lakeport Ale at a fair price," says Tom Rolfe, Lakeport Brand Manager.

I highly doubt this. I know a couple of Lakeport drinkers from back home who prefer it because of the cost and I went to school with guys that would regualary drink it, and there is no way they would call up Lakeport and request an ale. Who is their right mind would? I worked at the LCBO for a brief stint some time ago and talked with the people that buy Lakeport or Laker or Lucky and these are not the type of people looking for change.

Maybe this ale, which will sell for $24 for 24 (+ tax) might hold some flavour (sarcastic) and might be enjoyed by someone(truthfully). But that someone will not be me. Cheap knock off beer only hurts the rest of the industry, hurts the local brewers who produce terrific ales and lagers but have to charge more, and in my opinion helps with binge drinking.

Just my two cents - now off to drink a Peche Mortel!! (thanks Greg)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I'm an idiot who has to try every single beer at least once, I will be trying this. I actually have a bottle waiting for me with a friend who got a few through another friend... long story, but at least it saves me having to actually buy it. ;)

Also: Drinking Peche Mortel at 5:00 in the morning? Dude, that's hardcore!

Troy Burtch said...

Haha!
The time is wrong on my computer evidently.

Let me know what you think of the Lakeport.

Anonymous said...

Did you hear the one about Labatt 50 being packaged as Lakeport Ale?
This will be a neat tasting experiment.

Web Analytics

Winter Ale