Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Olde Angel Inn: Niagara on the Lake, ON

The following pub profile was written by guest writer Duncan Rowland who has also written for Bar Towel. Here he profiles the cozy Olde Angel Inn at Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. Enjoy!!
*********************************
My parents have lived in Niagara on the Lake for the past 15 years. I've been visiting the Angel for roughly the last seven of those years, and it remains one of my favourite pubs in Ontario. I still have no idea what happened for the first eight years. Then again, my father is the guy who, after I implored him to bring back Boag and Sons' Premium Lager (my #1 beer, and you can't get it anywhere in Canada) from his visit to Australia, didn't bring back any because he didn't think it tasted good.

Anyway, the Angel is a popular and inviting pub with a good roster of draft beers. It is never empty, the staff are very attentive and welcoming, and there is no music to drown out the conversation. Apparently they do have live Celtic music some nights, but I usually visit during the afternoon; maybe they know my tastes.

The beer selection encompasses some Ontario micros, their house beers (courtesy of Niagara Falls Brewing), and a lot of UK product such as 80 Shilling, Newcastle Brown and so on. If you're looking for a cask pump you're out of luck, however there should be something for everyone.

The last time I was at The Angel I struck up a conversation with the couple next to me. They were visiting NotL from Dunkirk, in southwestern New York state. They had randomly dropped by the pub for a drink and were not disappointed. I asked what beers people drank in their hometown, and they said, believe it or not, mostly Blue and Blue Light! I introduced them to Gritstone, which they liked.

If I have one complaint about the Angel, it would be the size of the bar, which has been sacrificed for more tables and chairs. In all the times I have visited, I've sat at a table twice, preferring to polish the bar top even if I’m visiting with my seven-year old daughter, who has herself remarked that the 2% milk tasted better when she sat at the bar.

The Angel has a few competitors in NotL; however none match it across the board for selection, atmosphere and service. NotL itself has so much to offer, with mild weather, great scenery along a well-maintained bike path, plenty of wineries, and an improving dining scene. If you are going for these aspects, you owe it to yourself to seal the deal with a visit to the Angel Inn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a friendly heads up about Boag's: you can get it here in
Alberta!

Anonymous said...

Hi Duncan
I have an aunt that lives in Alberta ;D and Adrian is in Europe again.

Web Analytics

Winter Ale