Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Thursday, November 20, 2008

$3 Pints? Head to Kubo Radio Eatery: Toronto, ON

Everyday on my way home from work I pass by an eatery that claims to sell $3 pints. I've been meaning to stick my head in and check out the place, just to see what exactly my $3 would be paying for. However, for some odd reason I hadn't made it there.

Well after work today I blindly headed west to have a beer at Magpie's only to find the lights off and door locked. I decided to head home until I passed Kubo Radio, the Asian eatery with the sign in the window boasting their $3 pint offering, so I ducked in out of the cold and made my way to the bar.

The lovely barmaid greeted me with a big smile and welcomed me into her establishment. I inquired about the deal and before I knew it I had a pint of Kubo Lager in my hand, in the appropriately branded glassware too! The lager is brewed by Wellington and chances are its their Trailhead Lager. Nothing spectacular or overly inspiring, but well worth the three dollar price tag. Hell, you can buy a can of the stuff at the LCBO for $2.50. And this isn't just a one night special. The $3 applies everynight of the week, attracting locals from all walks of life, explained the barmaid.

There were two other Wellington beers on tap as the Pale Ale and the County Ale were represented by the traditional Welly rubber boot taphandles and a pint retails for $5.95. The three are the only beers available on draught because Kubo recognizes itself as an Asian eatery. Management felt their beer menu should consist of Asian beers, hence the following bottle selection: Asahi Super Dry, Sapporo, San Miguel, Kirin, Tsingtao, Saigon Export, Singha lager, Tiger and Asahi Black, all of which retail for $5.75. Nothing I would put in my mouth with Welly close by, but diverse none-the-less.

While sitting at the bar, another individual took up the stool beside me and we had a pleasant chat about my hometown, a place he visits regularly. So not only did $3 get me a pint of a well made lager, it also introduced me to this intimate little eatery and provided me with nice conversation on a cold night.

A nice surprise and somewhere I will pay a visit again. Located in Leslieville on Queen St. East just west of Logan. Check it out.

*Only interested in getting a half pint of the Lager? You'll pay $3.95....$3 for a pint or $3.95 for half pint, which should help with your size making decisions. And why not grab a Babycake cupcake to go? The delicious treats are available at the bar.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that place is directly beside Li'l Baci - and owned by the same folks as well. Good pizza there and, importantly, Denison's on tap!

Be forewarned though. Li'l Baci is a "family friendly" place. "Family friendly" is a code word that we parents use when we band together to completely take over a restaurant and make it our own. :)

Anonymous said...

The Dominion Hotel (which you have previously reviewed) has $3.50 pints (White Seal only) every afternoon between 3-5(or 6).

Troy Burtch said...

Shawn - Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm in the area I'll let you know.

Malcolm - good memory, I did in fact review the Dominion on Queen. However, I remember that the pints (White Seal) weren't $3.50 on the day I was there. Maybe a new trend? I was there around 4:30.

Cheers,
Troy

Troy Burtch said...

Seems Kubo is under some renovation.

http://www.blogto.com/deadpool/2008/12/kubo_radio_enters_the_deadpool/

Anonymous said...

My wife passes on this information:

The Roy Public House: 894 Queen St. E.
A new pub opens in the old Kubo Radio location around mid-March

Fingers crossed!

Troy Burtch said...

Shawn,
Thanks again for the tip. I will be paying them a visit to find out more.

Cheers,
Troy

Web Analytics

Winter Ale