Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Is Thy Stomach Growing In Size?

Back in April, Alan over at A Good Beer Blog wrote about his weight issues and asked other beer drinkers what they do to watch the ever expanding waist line while still enjoying the drink we call beer.

I remember reading that post and giving it some serious thought as weight issues have always affected me. My weight goes up then I lose some, then it goes back up then I lose it. Up and down since grade 8. While I have never been 'thin' I have usually been in good shape, thanks to rigorous workouts, playing rugby, hockey and fastball. But since moving to the city and recently consuming a lot (a lot) of beer, whether it be at beer dinners, events, at the pub, or with friends, I have started to notice my weight sneak up on me. I still workout, just not as much as I once did.

I don't blame the caloric qualities of the beer for this weight gain. I blame the fact that in the morning, after drinking some strong ales, I can't get out of bed to hit the gym. So here's what I intend to do about it while staying in the loop: a) limit my weekly beer intake, b) get to the gym 4 times a week and, c) limit my consumption at events.

Can I do it? I think so, although last night I was staring at a bottle of Ommegang Strong Belgian Ale and thinking of popping the cork after dinner for a night tippler. I stood strong though and drank some lousy water instead.

So thanks Alan for waking me up!

2 comments:

Alan said...

Thanks for reminding me!!

Troy Burtch said...

Haha. No, thank you!

Web Analytics

Winter Ale