Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Monday, March 24, 2008

Just here for a Pint...or pints

Nova Scotia has changed on of their quirkiest liquor laws, set sometimes in the 1930's (they're really not sure when) as they removed the rule that you must spend more money on food than pints on Good Friday. Sound weird? It was.

From my understanding of the law, customers wishing to have a couple of pints at a local pub on Good Friday had to spend more money on food than the price of the pints. So, two Propeller's cost you $10, you had to spend over $10 on food. No thanks. Imagine if this was the case at every place you went, everyday of the week? I enjoy going into a pub to knock back a couple by myself with a good book or good conversation and I usually don't want to eat. I would be even more strapped for cash if that was the case.

Read the original article here from the Globe and Mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article - I really enjoy reading about some of the history of the pubs and bars.
I recall as a child,(in Ontario) going to a bar and grill on a Sunday with my parents. The bar was not allowed to serve beer or liquor to anyone unelss they were having a meal.

Web Analytics

Winter Ale