Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hop City Brewing Co. - New Brewery in Ontario

I received a message the other day about a new craft brewery that opened back at the beginning of October, Hop City Brewing Co.. As far as I know, the brewery, which is owned/operated by Moosehead USA/The Premium Beer Company, but run as an independent business entity, is located in Brampton at the old Niagara Brewery before they moved to Niagara Falls.

They're currently only producing draught lager, which goes by the name, Barking Squirrel Lager, and as of today it is available in 25 pubs/bars/restaurants. The first keg went out on October 5th to Jake's Boathouse in Brampton and it was received nicely. There are no plans to produce another style as of right now, but the person I spoke with indicated that it would be looked at in the future. They do have plans to grow the product and they're hopeful that they'll be able to bottle and distribute it through the LCBO one day.

The message indicates that this new lager will be the tastiest craft beer in town, and by drinking it you can experience craft with attitude.

Hop City will be hosting an event here in Toronto in a few weeks, so look for my tasting notes soon. Is this going to be a threat to our small Ontario craft brewers?

Website is still under development.

10 comments:

Craig Pinhey said...

Pretty sure squirrels don't bark...

Rob said...

Craig - they do make this hideous hissing noise though. I'd never heard a squirrel hiss until one cornered me and chased me back into the house. Ever since then I hear it almost daily. I hate the damn things.

4 Dog Brewery said...

Let's see now. The brewery is a little brother from a mega-brewer. That's fine, they can do or call themselves what they want. "Hop City Brewing Co." isn't a name for a brewery that makes a lager IMO. They should of come out with a nice and hoppy IPA. I haven't tasted their lager yet, but please, when you name your brewery "Hop City", bring out a beer with a ton of hops in it.

pqjulie said...

so on PubQuest (www.pubquest.com), we only have craft breweries... does this count? should I add it?

Anonymous said...

The cutesy name gets you to try it once. The second and later pints are because it's really a nice beer.

On tap at the Kilt and Clover in Port Dalhousie

Troy Burtch said...

Sorry Julie, I must have overlooked your comment. I would put it under craft beer as it is run separately from Moosehead (yet owned by Moosehead)

pqjulie said...

no worries, I added it to PubQuest already! :)

cruizinchic said...

Hello...I sure wish Hop City Brewery would return our phone calls or emails. We have been tryin to get a hold of them in order to purchase a Keg of this "barking squirell" beer. Love it! Anyone know where and how i can get my hands on one!
jackie in cambridge!

Troy Burtch said...

cruizinchic - if you send me an email (greatcanadianpubs@gmail.com) I'll provide you with an email of a manager with Moosehead, who owns the Hop City Brewing Co.

Troy

Anonymous said...

Hi you can get Barking Squirrel at the St. George Arms Pub in St. George, Ontario its very good

Web Analytics

Winter Ale