Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Organizing the Stash

The wife and I are cleaning up and organizing our apartment for the first time since we got married back in October. Gifts, empty boxes, wrapping paper, and my beer collection, were all starting to clutter up our space. My wife, who is very tolerate of this beer hobby, kindly asked me to re-organize my stash, something I haven't done in a while.

So, boxes were sorted, beer was put into the beer fridge, and the Barley Wines, Imperial Stouts, and Strong Belgian ales were put into their own containers for further aging. There are some beauties that I had almost completely forgotten about, which is like being surprised with a wicked gift on Christmas morning. I had to make some room in the beer fridge to get in some beers that are nearing their end, but the fridge was already full leaving me with a question of what to do with them, so I did what any beer drinker would do on a glorious afternoon when CBC airs a hockey game: I cracked some open and watched the Senators lose to the Rangers in a shoot-out (alright!!). Hockley Valley Traditional Dark Ale, Propeller Pumpkin, Tree Hefeweizen, Grizzly Paw Grumpy Bear Honey Wheat, St. Ambroise Pale Ale, and a Tree Hop Head. And I'm still working on some more. Thankfully the Leafs play tonight, followed up by the Canucks, so it's going to be a long night.

My collection is fairly substantial, and like I said, it takes up a bunch of room in our apartment, but I know people out there reading have some huge collections. How do you (in you live in tight quarters) manage with your collection? As a person who does most of their drinking in the pub, I find sharing with others is usually the best option for keeping it somewhat under control. I guess it's never really a bad problem to have.

3 comments:

Alan said...

We were blessed with a cold room in our 1964 suburban house. A door off the rec room. One day it will be filled but it is close to half filled.

Rob said...

This is the first step, T. One day she's asking you to re-arrange your stash and before you know it she's suggesting you take that shelf of beer bottles down and replace it with something more tasteful.

Oh yeah... and if you ever need any help whittling that stuff down you have mu number...

Mike said...

As someone who recently moved from a house with a nice basement for cellaring to an apartment, I'm still trying to work out what to do. For the winter, I may try under the kitchen sink (it's the first floor of a house and should keep a cool temperature). I have no idea what to do for the summer. Anything that I'm going to age over year, like Thomas Hardys, has been put in my parents' cold room.

Web Analytics

Winter Ale