Follow beer writer, Troy Burtch, as he explores the wonderful world of craft beer and the pubs that serve it. Great Canadian Beer is a place to come to catch up on beer news, read tasting notes, check out event listings, and for pub previews and reviews.

PLANNING AN EVENT? GOT A NEWS TIP? INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING? SEND A MESSAGE TO troy (at)greatcanadianbeerblog(dot)com

Friday, March 4, 2011

Meet Adam Grant: The Monks Table - Toronto, ON

Meet Adam Grant, the owner of The Monks Table: A Gourmand House in Toronto's Rosedale area. Grant, along with his wife Melissa, purchased the former "Abbott on the Hill" in 2009 and later rebranded as The Monks Table.

Grant decided years ago to focus on import beer rather than domestic craft beer, creating a unique draught line-up that can't be found anywhere else in the city. A great bottle menu, delicious food, and their knack for hosting beer launches, have made the pub a great destination to have a pint in Toronto.

Grant always seems to be around, greeting people at the door and is quick to chat about his passion for good beer. He is a dedicated publican, and a very proud supporter of Toronto Beer Week (Monks Table was recognized for their efforts during the 2010 TBW).


How long have you operated your establishment?
5 years. First as The Abbot on the Hill then The Monks Table after the name change.

How did you get into the hospitality industry?
30 years ago I said to my self "Adam... work for ONE Summer as a Server/bartender and make some extra cash for school"..... sigh.

What is the best part of operating a pub?
Working with my wife.

What is the worst?
Working with my wife. (You try working with me)

How do you go about selecting the beer for your establishment?
Tons of customer input. Often reps from the big two (you know who I mean), who I don't carry, try and buy you with swag, but my distributors help to brand me with unique events where my patrons have a say in what goes on tap.

Where did the name of your establishment come from?
My patrons helped us choose it in a four month long contest. I wanted something that spoke of our concept and The Monks Table accurately reflects our beers which are all European (many with Monastic Roots), and our simple but high quality fare.

What has been the biggest change in the beer industry since you started your business?
I think people are backing away from generic massive brands. I can't remember the last time somebody asked for a Stella at the Monks Table.

If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be?
I'd like to change how the city deals with an industry that supplies so much taxes, jobs, and income. New bylaws restricting where restaurants can be, their size, etc are unfair and fiscally irresponsible.

What do you get up to when your not at your establishment?
I like to "research" my neighbours (other pubs...). If that means I have to have a few pints ...cest la vie.

If you're not drinking at your own bar, where do you head to for a beer?
The Rebel House is an institution and one of the trail blazers in carrying all micro brews.

Name the last beer you consumed?
Chiswick Ale. When you do as much "research" as I do its best to have a low alcohol ale.

1 comment:

GinaTO said...

Great post. The Monk's Table is our favorite gastropub in Toronto. We started going there because of Adam himself - we were exploring the neighbourhood one day, went in to look at the beautiful decor, and Adam welcomed us so warmly, we kept coming back for five years now! We love the place so much that we stopped there for a breather (and a pint) on our wedding day. Keep up the great work Adam!

Web Analytics

Winter Ale